Saturday, August 8, 2015

Carry On

Not much has happened this past week, so I will keep this short:

On Sunday, we had a retirement party for Grandpa Smetana. I used this as an opportunity to make BBQ pork ribs that I have been craving. They don't have a slow cooker so I had use the rice cooker instead. With only "high" and "warm" settings, I had to switch back and forth between them throughout the day in order to get the slow cooking temperature necessary for fall-off-the-bone ribs. I cooked them in a Jamaica BBQ sauce that I made and Osman finished them off on the grill. They were good but not perfect. The rice cooker doesn't heat as consistently as a regular slow cooker and I would have preferred to finish them under an oven broiler if we had one. Julia made a delicious carrot cake with a cream cheese frosting and we had ourselves a feast.

                         Retirement feast 
                                                   Julia, Kaiden, and Grandpa 

Monday, I played golf with Papa Smetana. 

Tuesday, we finished putting the garden beds into the ground. 

                           The homemade garden beds installed in the backyard 

Wednesday, with Angie and Osman spending the night in Managua, Kaiden stayed at the rental house with Julia and I. Fortunately he slept peacefully.

Thursday, enjoyed watching the final episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. Convieniently it comes on at 9 PM down here. 

Friday, Julia and I played golf with Ma and Pa Smetana. I chipped-in for birdie on the toughest hole on the course. 

               Kaiden got a new bike helmet 

Saturday (today), is a day of celebration in Portland and we are sad to not be there. Our friends Jess and Julia (also known as J1 or Jubes) are having their wedding celebration at a park where there will be much revelry. We briefly looked at tickets back home but the high prices combined with the Smetana parents being here just made it not feasible. I was honored to be there last year when they officially got hitched and there was an impromptu reception at a local restaurant which Julia (J2) was also able to attend. A small consolation that doesn't really lessen the sting of missing the joyous gathering of friends. We wish them all the best and use this as a reminder of what we are missing as life continues on back home. We can't wait to see them and all of our friends and family when we return in December. 

A preview of the coming week: We will golf more and potentially help with another major house project. The next backpacking adventure should begin in just over a week, around the 17th or so. Studying up on Costa Rica and Panama will continue. Plus, I may pop down to the pool area over the next few days as there is a rumor that they are hosting the Miss Nicaragua pageant and I am very curious to hear the contestants views on world politics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment